Sunday, September 03, 2006

LockOut

It's been 4:30 P.M. for the past 12 hours. The plane's trajectory is percectly in tune with the changing of the time zones. It's been one hour I can't escape from and it makes me feel very trapped, stuck between the window and a Japanese sleeping machine. On top of that, this gas in my body makes me want to fart to no end. Every time I go to the bathroom, he doesn't want to come out. It's not a good time to be fart shy. It makes me uncomfortable for the rest of my 13 hour flight.

Upon my first step on fresh soil (carpet) at Narita Airport in Japan, I had expected to be radiating excitement, fear, or maybe even glee. Nevertheless, it still felt as if I were in Philly, another airport, another city. For weeks and months before the trip, including this very day, I have not felt what I would call excitement. It was a feeling that really doesn't have a word. "Are you excited!?" somebody would ask me. "No." "Are you nervous?" "No." I don't really know how I felt. I knew I would miss my family, my friends, and my girlfriend. That was certain. I guess in my mind, I had already left. I was ready for change. I needed to get away from the comfortability of my home life and do something unexpected. Somewhere I know very little or nothing about. Where I will have to adjust my way of living, and hopefully learn some valuable lessons along the way. Unfortunately the tea I had just bought out of the vending machine tasted like shit. I threw it away.
I'm about to board this bus and sit for another hour. Its ok. 14 hours on a plane wasn't all that bad.

As day turns to night, the Tokyo skyline lights up, I pull out my camera and take my first snap shot of Japan: One of the largest ferris wheels I have laid my eyes on dominates the skyline. I really don't agree with Texas. Everything is not bigger or better. You're just a jerk Texas, how DARE you claim that fame.

Finally I arrive to my residence at Sakura House via plane, bus, and taxi. I throw my bags into my room, unpack a few essential items, and roam the hallways to meet my new housemates. But first, I'm going to a conveinence store with Hipple to get some food, my first food in Tokyo. And there's nothing more authentic than shrimp chips and some dried cup noodles from the local conveinence store, Lawson's. Boy was that delicious. At that point, I felt it was a good time to get a good nights sleep while the hour was still young. Weird thing happened though. I tried to unlock my door and it didn't work. I was locked out of my room on my first night, deathly tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home