Sunday, September 03, 2006

Day One: Roppongi

After a night of no help from my dorm manager or assistant dorm manager, I felt "well rested" waking up from the cold hard floor that my friend Stephanie had generously provided me with. And with yesterday's clothes and yesterday's hair I am ready to begin my first day in Tokyo, grumpy as hell.

An 8:30 train to Azabu-juban for orientaion at the TUJ campus can prove to be quite uncomfortable train ride not to mention easy to spot the unfamiliar gaijin:
Pasha

I've been on crowded packed subways before, but nothing nearly comparable to what the Tokyo Train System can pack. I'm pretty sure I was crotch to face with an older women who sat down in front of me. I really didn't mind though. The train begins to take off as latecomers literally run into packs of people, taking up the last centimeter of available space. I guess I'm only going to be smelling this man's hair for the next 30 minutes.

After the routine orientation and information session, it was time to go out. We headed out to Roppongi, a 20 minute walk from school, often considered the Times Square of Tokyo, not for it's bright lights or even it's hustle or it's bustle, but rather its touriocity. Quite touristy it twas and was told that visiting once or twice will suffice. And from here on out, I will compose each line as a poem. I sadly did not have my camera for this outting, but I assure you that there were buildings and people and a giant spider. With 2 hours to explore, my bros Nathan, Brian, and Sean, went out in search of some food and babes.

"Konnichi wa, kawai di o"=translation= "Good afternoon, you are cute to me."

I've never been one to be that guy, hollerin at girls. But dude, I'm in Japan. Truth be told, we were a little afraid, but Nate totally got a sexy stare and a cute little wave. I gave him the biggest high five of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home