Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Like that Chicago song

Toward the end of my acid mind trip, I end with Saturday. I end the week naked....and alone...and oh soooo cold. Not really but I was naked. Saturday a group of us went to Ogikubo where we were invited into the home of these lovely ladies:

lovely ladies

Here, they gave us a a short performance on the koto which also rocked my f'n world, and taught us lessons in caligraphy and a Shinto religious ceremony, and ending our stay with a tea ceremony. Upon leaving, the one women turned to me and said, "In Shinto, there are no shrines. The only true shrine is yourself, have respect for your own body and spirit." I was very inspired by these words. Inspired to do what? I really have no idea, but it gives me purpose to take care of myself on a higher level. Hmm, that still doesn't make much sense. Just be careful America.


After leaving the house, we headed to Jindaiji for the onsen. I promised to do a running cannonball into the hot water bath. And boy did I deliver. Before entering the bath, everyone is supposed to wash themselves with soap and water, removing the dirt and dead skin that may pollute the natural waters. Some often times spend 10 minutes scrubbing their bodies to make sure they are clean enough to enter the bath. And at that moment, sitting on that stone and looking into the mirror at myself, showering my naked, muscular, golden body, I realized that I am now truly in Japan. It took a while for it to really make an impact, but now that fact was slapping me in the face. "I am submerged in a culture far beyond my previous comprehen...ehhhh...", and then I took a running swan dive into the hot mountainous waters.

did not take this picture


"the end."
"yayyyyy! your such a good story teller uncle mikey!!"
"yes daniel, i know."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home