Monday, September 25, 2006

Either Way, There Was Wetness

Being sick in Japan is really a barrel of fun. I don't know which medicine is for which symptom, the pills are weak, I can't blow my nose in public, and I have to wear this mask:So a good night's sleep and plenty of fluids are my best defense against this cold. Oh yea, and fun too. Fun is the also the medicine the pharmacist at the store prescribed me. But I may have overdosed. And gone to the hospital and removed my left kidney. Let me give you a weekend recap.

Friday...I did nothing. I had to sleep. I had to take every pill and spray I had.

Saturday though was pretty pretty pretty good. It started with a 1 1/2 hour train ride to Kamakura, the coastal town of Japan 50 km south-west of Tokyo. I am beginning to appreciate these long train rides because it gives me time to read my books. I'm hoping to get through with 6 or 7 by the end of the semester. Anyways, Kamakura is home to many temples and shrines along with the most popular attraction, the Amida Buddha, a giant outdoor bronze statue of the Great Buddha placed within the hills and mountains of Kamakura. Friggin beautiful.

husband and wife dogs

they turned around for a picture

leaving the ghost temple

There were many hills we walked up and many tunnels we traveled through. But we ended up in this little area, tucked away from its surroundings, which featured many little shrines, toji gates, waterfalls, and small cave you could enter. In this cave you were encouraged to put all your money into a basket and pour water over your money, which is beleived to make you a rich man. I actually lost about $5 earlier that day, and $5 the next day. So its a dirty filthy lie. A kind of lie that stinks like rotten eggs and RC cola. Real friggin gross. While we spent a good amount of time resting in this area, Brian and I found a little staircase that led to a bunch of stumps and a wooden table. From here we found some narrow dirt paths hidden by high grass, nobody else was around. We proceeded to hike up up the hill which took us quite a ways up, to a place that overlooks the shrineland below (sort of). There were many trees in the way, but I could tell that we were high up there.


From here, we took the bus in search of the Great Buddha. We got off the bus and after using the bathroom, me and my friend Tomo were nearly running to get there. We couldn't wait one more second, it was something I was looking forward to since I got here.We gave the women our 200 yen, gave a strange look at our tickets, shoved them into our pockets, turned the corner and stretched our necks passed the trees to see one of the most amazing sights I had ever seen.

I threw my hands up to my face, ran my fingers through my hair, and in wide-eyed amazement gave a very appropriate, "Oh my God," followed by a "Wow" and maybe a, "Are you serious?"
It never really hit me before. The feeling that I am living in Japan. But now I was certain that this was the feeling happening to me at that very moment, a feeling I've been waiting a long time for. To be awoken from this daze that I've been under for so long, and realize that I am alive. I am put on this earth to live. On this earth to see all that has been created.

Tomo took my camera and proceeded to take a picture of me. Before he pressed the shutter down, he told me that I looked like the happiest kid. I laughed. But I kind of wanted to cry for a moment. It was just too overwhelming.
me and daibutsu

backside windows

inside of the Great Buddha

From here on out, I don't think my day could have gotten better. We contined to visit some more temples, those of the Hase Kannon in Hasedera. I've seen a lot of it before, but what I had not seen was the giant 2.8 meter tall golden Jorokubutsu, which stood there in intimidating fashion. I couldnt take my eyes off of him. He was just too beautiful. I couldn't take pictures of him because if you tried, he would reach out his golden hand and crush your damn camera. I saw it with my own two eyes. After I emerged from the temple, I looked forward to see another friggin amazing view of the coastline:

But some jerk got in front of my camera and gave a very typical American thumbs up.


Here he is again getting in my shot of the bamboo stalks. Friggin jerk.

After setting sights on the beach, we were determined to find it and sit on its sandy sand even for 5 minutes. We took the train and walked a mile to shore. The walk seemed similar to the jog we made when we in search of the Daibutsu, we couldn't wait to get in that water.


The sand was a near black and the water was warm. There weren't many seashells but there was trash. For a city with no trash on the ground, there sure was a decent amount on the beach. But I didn't mind. Hundreds of surfers sat in the dark waters awaiting the ideal wave. Once they caught it, it was all their own, for a moment they owned the sea.

And by the end of the day, I felt well accomplished but I still felt sick as a dog. Too bad I bought the wrong sick mask.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

oh yeah, well we have the liberty bell. beat that! although... it kinda sucks.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home