Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Otaku

I must confess, I've been a little nerdy as of late. My excitement for video games has never reached this point before. Except for when I got Resident Evil 4. And except for when I got Tony Hawk for Christmas. And except for when I got GTA: San Andreas. And except for when I got a different Tony Hawk for Christmas. And except for when I got a different GTA. Anyways, I've been nerdy nonetheless.

I went to the Tokyo Game Show this past sunday, which made many of my friends at home jealous (maybe one). Here I would get to play the new games and systems, PS3 and Wii before they even hit the shelves. But I must admit that my excitement for this day diminished quickly when I realized that A) all the games and directions are in Japanese and B) 80% of the games there were Japanese games, popular in Japan but don't make it to America. I still got to check out Metal Gear Solid 4 and Devil May Cry 4 amongst other games which were pretty tight. But for the most part, the lines were a 30 minute wait to play a game for 3 minutes, and a lot of Japanese games suck. The Wii wasn't there either, whatever. So overall the whole event ended up sucking, but I did end it on a good note. Before I left I played Sonic The Hedgehog (for Bill) on PS3, and it was a fantastic game. Not so much the gameplay but that one of these girls:

girl

Was on the left of me, jumping up and down, cheering me on. Im pretty sure she kissed me, and then we made out. That was awesome.

worship the PS3...even though it sucks


And last night I walked though the pouring pouring rain to Shibuya to attend my first show in Japan. It's a little comfort of home brought to Japan. I would often spend $300 a year on concerts and shows, granted them being $10 a show, I ended up attending around 25 shows per year. But shows here a little more expensive. This one ended up costing $28 which was alright because it was an American band, The Advantage. And what better music to listen to in Japan than "instrumental Nintendo rock." This band was friggin awesome (and features the guitarist from Hella). The audience ended up asking for 2 encores, but the band eventually ran out of songs to play. Being in the audience, I felt like I was in a movie. The reason being that on the Hella DVD of mine, they recorded their tour of Japan and the crowds were filled with Japanese kids. I felt like I was at one of those shows on the DVD (and I pretty much was). Many kids snapped open cans of beer, smoked their cigarettes, and bounced up and down to the MIDI plucks of the guitar. Towards the end of their set, the guy next to me shouted in broken English, "Mega Man 2, Wiley's Stage! Please, please, please!!" I had a good laugh, and continued to bounce up and down. The Japanese bands are much more creative than any American band I've seen. In America, every startup band tries to rip their style off a band they look up to. In Japan, creativity is encouraged and if you're not original or crazy then get the hell outta here. The crowd is much more polite too. No rude boys and no pushing and shoving like Philly shows. Boo you Philly. Boo you.

Hununhum - dude playing clarinet and sax at the same time




1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

soniiiiiic. [ejaculates] oops!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home